Tenants Rights

Tenants Rights are regulations that not all tenants are aware of when renting properties from Landlords or Estate Agents. Tenants usually do not have a clue what Tenants rights they are entitled to. So here we have tried to put out advice for them in as simple terms as possible.

Estate Agents usually do their best to manage a property on the Landlord’s behalf. Rarely but some are just careless and in these instances, it causes the tenant/s much frustration. The new Tenant Fees Act 209 goes a long way to enforcing tenant rights for all tenants.

Tenants Rights are standard and a Landlord has to comply with them when renting out a property. Although some Landlords make up their own rules instead of abiding by the standard Tenants Rights, this is mainly because of the shortage of housing, which will usually allow a tenant to get the best rental property available.

Redress Scheme

Tenants Rights are not usually affected when they have property problems with Estate Agents/Managing Agents, who do nothing about their concerns within the property they are renting. Compulsory government legislation was launched on October the 1st  2014, this is called the Redress Scheme.

All Estate Agents and Managing Agents have to be registered to one of three government  Redress Schemes so tenants can have their concerns about their property issues heard and resolved.

Agents who are not registered with anyone of these schemes are liable to be fined by the local council as it’s an offence not to be registered and the agent could be liable to a fine of £5000 per branch.

Tenants Rights

House Of Multiple Occupation

Tenants Rights: If you are a tenant renting a room in a house with other occupants then you have different rights in what’s known as a House of Multiple Occupation. There are many regulations that Tenants do not know about but they should all be listed somewhere on our site and you should contact your local council should you need any further explanation in regards to your tenancy rights.

If you have a repair at your property then you need to inform your Landlord unless you, your family or your guests have caused the problem. If you have caused the problem then you need to get it rectified and keep your receipt as long as it doesn’t affect the gas or electric.

Property Issues

Tenant Rights 2017Tenants Rights: If there is a problem that the Agent/Landlord needs to get resolved, then you need to write to him or email him as this will be your record if a claim against you was actioned at a later date. You need to keep this correspondence to show how and when you reported the problem and the steps you’ve taken to inform your landlord.

If you are a smoker you must get permission from the Landlord/Agent to smoke in the property. Smoking will ultimately damage paintwork, furnishings and/or wallpaper. Most tenancy agreements will stipulate no smoking, but if your landlord is happy for you to smoke you should, make sure that the property that you rent has sufficient smoke alarms.

 Damp Problems:

 Damp IssuesAs a Tenant, you will always be aware of rented properties with a continuous damp problem, whilst in the property. In some instances, it will be rising damp and in other instances penetrating damp. Some Landlords without completing a proper investigation will blame damp on condensation.

Damp ProblemsThe problem could be due to not enough ventilation in the property, but as a Tenant, you have the right to insist that this be resolved at some stage. Keep pictures and always make your complaint to the Landlord/Agent by post or email.

The Landlord could become liable at a later date should you or anyone on your household suffer, breathing problems as a consequence of the damp in the property.

Text messages are a waste of time as they are like a conversation which in a court of law is deemed as hearsay. Always keep everything documented (Emails or Letters) as this will protect you.